Manufactured Fiber - (NatureWorks PLA, a corn-based polymer)
- Similar to Cotton in appearance.
- Natural fiber hand.
- Wickability/breathability of natural fibers.
- Good performance qualities.
- Made from a renewable resource, which is biodegradable.
- Good flammability resistance.
- High UV resistance.
- Excellent drapeability.
- Can be used in blends with cotton and polyester, or alone.
MAJOR END USES:
- Apparel - Early markets for this new fiber include lingerie, men's shirts, active sportswear, outerwear, and performance wear.
Comment - The PLA in the fibers name stands for poly-lactic-acid. The fiber can be used in blends with cotton and polyester, or alone. PLA is biodegradable like natural fibers. In the future, it is anticipated that microfibers will be made from the fiber as well.
Return to Fiber Characteristics Index
Continue to Fiber/Fabric Care
Or, Return to Seminar Index
Please let us know your
comments about this
site. Or, contact us to find out more about our live seminar
programs for major retailers, associations or consumer groups.