3-1/2 yards white
cotton fabric (cape, 108 inches x 40 inches) (hood, 1/2 yard)
6 inches white VELCRO® brand Sew-On tape
1/2 yard of orange fabric to make bow tie
Black sweatpants, white sweatshirt
White thread, tape measure; scissors; pins; safety pin
Spray-on glitter in crystalline
1 yard x 1/2 inch wide white ribbon for casing
White gloves; top hat and cane
1. Fold 3 yard fabric piece in half; cut length wise
into a piece that measures 54 inches wide x 40 inches long
2. Glue or hem each end, leaving top and bottom edges
3. Turn under 1 inch at top to form upper casing.
4. Attach safety pin to one end of ribbon; pull through
casing so ribbon ends extend three inches past casing ends; stitch across
casing ends to secure ribbon.
5. Cut 3-inch strip of VELCRO® brand Sew-On tape.
Separate halves of tape. Sew or glue hook piece to right side of one ribbon
end. Glue loop piece to wrong side of other ribbon end.
6. Cut lower end of cape in uneven points.
7. Try on cape to mark armholes about
11 inches down from casing edge or as desired. Remove cape and cut two
vertical slits 7 inches long and about 46 inches apart. Glue under raw
edges. Glue hemmed back edges of cape together about halfway down from
top of cape.
8. Enlarge hood pattern to desired size. (see below)
From 1/2 yard of fabric, cut 4 hood sections.<
9. Pin 2 hood sections together along curved back edge, with right sides
facing and raw edges even. Stitch in 1/2 inch seam. Pin and stitch remaining
hood sections in same manner to make lining. Pin hood to lining along
front and neck edges, with right sides facing, raw edges even and seams
aligned. Stitch in 1/2-inch seam, leaving 3-inch opening at center back.
Trim seams and clip corners, turn right side out. Slip stitch opening
10. Cut 3-inch piece of VELCRO® brand Sew-On tape.
Separate halves of tape. Sew hook piece to left chin flap on outside of
hood. Sew loop piece to right chin flap on inside of hood. Spray cape
and hood lightly with glitter spray; let dry.
11. Tie orange fabric in bow; glue to center front of
cape at neckline.
12. Dress child in sweat suit. Put on hood, then cape;
fasten at neck. Put hat and gloves on child; hold cane as an accessory.weater
or a tee shirt top.
Using a colored pencil and ruler, mark a grid on the pattern by connecting
grid lines around the edges. On a sheet of paper, mark a grid of 1-inch
squares or size given,
making the same number of squares as on the pattern. To do this, use
graph paper with 1-inch squares. In each square, draw the same lines
as in the corresponding square on the pattern. Another way to enlarge
is by using a photocopier.
Designed by Robin Tarnoff for Velcro USA Inc.