1 red t-shirt, several sizes too large, for tunic
Baseball hat - gray
Four 9 inch x 12 inch sheets of brown felt – leather embossed
3 large sheets of gray craft foam (2mm)
1 large sheet of red craft foam (3mm)
VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back tape – black (for skirt & breastplate) –18 inch x 3/4 inch
VELCRO® Brand Clear tape – clear (for helmet) – 18 inch x 3/4 inch
Patterns: (download pattern pdf)
- Cut twelve – 2 1/4inch x 12 inch strips from 3 sheets of brown felt. Trim one end of each strip to a point. Cut three – 3 inch x 12 inch strips from a sheet of brown felt for waistband. Overlap short ends by 3/8 inch and glue to form waistband. Measure waist (over clothes) and trim waistband to that measurement plus 3 inch.
- Along long edge of waistband, glue skirt strips to inside. Start at one end and line up top edge of strips about half way up waistband. Leave remaining 3 inch of waistband free of strips. Cut 2 – 3 inch lengths of black tape. Attach hook tape to top of one side and loop tape to underside of other.
- Print pdf patterns. Cut breastplate pieces from gray craft foam. [Tip: Use disappearing ink marking pen for transferring patterns.] Cut two – 1 inch strips off short end of craft foam sheets. (These will be used for side straps.)
- Apply 2 inch strips of VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back black tape to breastplate pieces and shoulder caps as indicated on patterns. Attach shoulder caps to breastplate pieces.
- Apply 1 inch piece of hook to one end of each side strap. Apply 1 inch piece of loop to breastplate as indicated. Try on breastplate to determine length of straps. Cut 1 inch longer and apply hook black tape to ends.
- From red foam, cut six – 2 inch x 12 inch strips. Fringe long edge each strip by cutting 1/8 inch wide fringe pieces to about 1/4 inch from edge. Stack and glue strips together along uncut edge to create helmet plume. Apply hook side of VELCRO® Brand Clear tape to glued edge.
- Baseball hat is worn backwards to create helmet. Measure crown of baseball hat from back opening to brim. Apply loop side of VELCRO® Brand Clear tape to crown, skipping the top button. If necessary, trim plume and attach to loop tape.
- Using patterns, cut out helmet pieces from gray craft foam. Glue cheek guards to lower corners of brow guard with the curved ends pointing inward. Apply hook tape as indicated on pattern. On back of hat, center brow guard over back opening. Apply loop tape to hat and attach brow and check guards.
- Put on t-shirt and wrap felt skirt around waist; secure to fit. Put on breastplate and secure shoulder caps and side straps. After wearing, remove plume, brow guard, and VELCRO® Brand tape to return hat to original condition.
Designed by Kim Bell for Velcro USA Inc.