Level: Moderately Advanced for Adults. Requires ability to measure,
safely cut patterns, glue and iron on webbing and fasteners
Completion Time: About 6 hours
This costume pairs a cute set of wings and a frilly tulle skirt that will
enchant the Pixie in your house. Complete the colorful fairy magic with a
flowery hair band and mint or lavender colored leotards and tights.
VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back™ Squares, white, 1 set
VELCRO® Brand Industrial Strength strips,
white 2 in x 4 in, 2 sets
4 inches VELCRO® Brand Fabric Fusion fasteners, white
1½ yards stretch sequined fabric, thread to match
3 yards floral or millenary wire
½ yard fusible web
3 yards of 2½ inches wide wired ribbon in
each of two colors-lavender and magenta
2 yards of mint satin ribbon and
2 yards dark green satin ribbon, 2 inches wide
1 yard of ⅛ inch narrow green ribbon
3 packages of self stick gems
2 yards of 108 inch wide tulle (light lavender)
3 yards of 108 inch wide tulle (dark lavender)
1 yard 108 inch wide tulle (magenta)
1 yard dark lavender ribbon 2 inches wide
for waistband of skirt
Shaped edge scissors / Pinking sheers
1 blank plastic headband
⅛ yard mint felt
Permanent fabric glue
Mint or lavender colored leotard and tights
Patterns: (Download pdf patterns)
Small Pixie Wing
Large Pixie Wing
TULE SKIRT: Finished size is 25 inches x 16 inches, ragged edges are 13-16 inches length.
- Cut 21 pieces of tulle, 50 inches wide x 16 inches long (12 pieces dark lavender, 6 pieces of light lavender, and 3 pieces of magenta). View the fabric layout (Link).
- Layer all 21 pieces of tulle on top of each other and pin along top and sides. Alternate the colors as desired. Stitch two rows of long gathering stitches across the 50-inch skirt top.
- Cut the lower edge of the tulle skirt to create irregular ragged edges that range from 13 to16 inches long.
- Pull the gathering threads, making gathers in the skirt, until it measures 25 inches wide x 16 inches long. Stitch along the gathered 50 inch side of the tulle to secure gathers at 25 inches across the skirt top.
- Cut a 27 inch piece of lavender ribbon. Sew one lengthwise edge of the 27 inch piece of lavender ribbon to the front side of the skirt over the stitch gathering line, leaving an extension of 2 inches of ribbon on one end of the skirt waistband.
- Fold over the ribbon lengthwise to the back, leaving a waistband of about ½ inch.
- Hand stitch ribbon to cover gathering seams on the back of the skirt waist.
- Iron on 4 inches of VELCRO® Brand Fabric Fusion tape (cut the width in half) to each end of the skirt to create an adjustable closure.
- Use pattern to cut wings from sequined fabric. Baste with the wrong sides facing each other. Stitch, leaving a 2 inch opening for turning inside out. Turn the fabric right side out and insert wire and shape into the opening of each of the four wings. Secure ends of the wire with tape. Stitch opening closed.
- Stitch 4 wings (2 large and 2 small) together at the center.
- Stick 2 hook strips of VELCRO® Industrial Strength fasteners to center of the wings. Stick 2 corresponding loop strips of VELCRO® Industrial Strength onto the back of the child’s leotard (once child is wearing leotard).
HEADBAND: Cover blank plastic headband with mint felt.
- Making leaves: Cut the 2 yd. pieces of both the mint and dark green satin ribbon in half to make four 36” long pieces. With fusible webbing, fuse the 2 pieces of the same color satin ribbons together. Using the pinking sheers or shaped edge sheers, cut out 16 mint leaves 2-1/4 inches long X 1-1/4 inches wide, and 10 mint leaves 3½ inches long X 1½ wide, along the length of the fused ribbon. Repeat this process for the dark green ribbon and make 16 dark green leaves 2-1/4 inches long X 1-1/4 inches wide and 10 dark leaves, 3½ inches long X 1½ wide.
- Making Flowers: With 1 yard of wire ribbon, gather along one side of ribbon, bend wire and fluff up to make the shape of a flower.
- Glue flowers, 6 to 8 large leaves and 8 to 12 small leaves to felt covered band, add stick-on rhinestones.
- Use 1 flower and 2 to 4 large leaves and 4 to 8 small leaves for the skirt waistband embellishment. Arrange 4 inch cut pieces of narrow ribbons, and leaves around the flower on the skirt.
- Attach flower and ribbons with VELCRO® Sticky Back™ square fastener to the skirt waistban
Designed by Robin Tarnoff for Velcro USA Inc.