Who we are
A descendant of a 100-year old, family-owned, feather processing company, Ohio-based Downlite is America's premiere manufacturer of natural and synthetic-filled bedding products for the home textile industry, and a trusted supplier of sustainably-sourced performance fills to many of the most recognizable brands and retailers in the outerwear industry.
Working in partnership with global brands and retailers, Downlite has led the efforts in the contribution, education and co-development of multiple down traceability standards and certifications to ensure global supply chain transparency. Downlite suppliers are located all over the world, with the majority of its natural materials sourced from Europe, Asia and the USA.
Downlite helped collaborate on the first 100% Traceable Down Standard (TDS) with brand partner Patagonia® and later assisted The North Face®, Textile Exchange and the Control Union in the development of the Responsible Down Standard (RDS), an independent, voluntary global standard for the ethical treatment of geese and ducks from farm to fill.
Downlite's down processing facilites in both USA and China are bluesign® system certified. All Downlite down processing and manufacturing processes are closely monitored, measured and maintained to minimize their environmental impact. Downlite's Ohio headquarters and main processing plant are Higg rated and the company is also an active member of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) and the American Down & Feather Council (ADFC).
Our innovative products
Being in tune with customer needs and market conditions, Downlite offers down-insulation innovations involving natural and recycled materials, which offer the dual benefit of enhancing the performance of the material, while being grounded in its core value of environmental stewardship.
NIKWAX Hydrophobic Down
- NIKWAX HYDROPHOBIC DOWN™ - Nikwax Hydrophobic down (NHD) is a water-based fluorocarbon-free branded solution that offers safe and reliable WR performance. The WR efficacy can be refreshed using Nikwax Down Wash™ for long lasing and durable WR protection. NHD treated down will stay dry longer and maintain its loft – even when wet.
- ACTIV-DRI DOWN™ – Activ-dri down is ideal for active outdoor applications due to its ability to reduce water absorption by up to 60% compared to un-treated down. This fluorine-free and bluesign® system partner chemistry does not add weight, or odor, nor have an adverse effect on fill power.
- PUR-DOWN™ - Pur-down is Downlite's exclusive anti-microbial technology offering a reduction of 97.7% of the microbes that can cause unwanted odors that naturally occur in the down. The bluesign® chemistry is washed into the down during the sterilization process and delivers lasting freshness to the product. The Pur-down treatment has no adverse effects on down loft or cleanliness, and is completely eco-friendly.
- GRS CERTIFIED RE/CHARGED™ DOWN - GRS certified re/charged™ down provides unprecedented performance levels for 100% recycled down due to its ability to 'boost' the down to a higher cluster and resulting fill power. re/charged™ down is offered in both white and gray colors and can be combined with Downlite's performance-enhancing technologies such as its proprietary PFC-free DWR treatments and Pur-Down™ anti-microbial solution.
- REPREVE®-DOWN BLEND is an intimate blend of Repreve® – a brand creating GRS certified post-consumer recycled fiber made from plastic bottles – and virgin down and/or Downlite's GRS certified recycled down blends. Repreve® down-blend offers a sustainable solution with enhanced performance benefits.
- WOOL-DOWN HALO™ - is a proprietary blend of nature's best insulating materials. Wool-Down HALO™ uses a traceable wool sourced in the U.S. and has achieved new laundry durability standards. This fiber brings the temperature and humidity control benefits of wool together with the loft, softness, and compressibility of down.
Watch Our Videos
Our short videos are produced to provide helpful answers to frequently asked questions about down.
Corporate sustainability initiatives
Environmental stewardship is the foundation of Downlite's sourcing, product development and production processes.
Down bags and lot tags
Waste Water Recycling System – Downlite's advanced waste water recycling system allows Downlite to dramatically reduce the amount of water needed (up to 40M gallons annually) to process down and feathers to its proprietary Restassured™ cleanliness standards.
1% For the Planet – 1% of the sales of Downlite's GRS certified re/charged™ down, in addition to 1% of sales of the company's eco-friendly Evolution of Comfort bedding collection from its Home Division will be donated to 1% For the Planet.
Composting – Downlite engages with an outside organic recycling company to utilize the large waste feathers that traditionally end up in landfill and, instead, treat them for soil compost.